Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
If you love coffee, and you love cake, and you believe "Quick" is THE buzz word for the new millennium ... then this recipe is for you! I've been making this recipe since I was a new bride (and I aint saying how loooong ago that was ;o)
- 3 teaspoons instant coffee powder
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1⁄4 cup custard powder
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 125 g butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 30 g butter, melted
- 3⁄4 cup icing sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee powder
- 1 tablespoon water
- Dissolve coffee powder in water.
- Add to a large bowl with remaining ingredients.
- Mix at a medium speed until smooth.
- Spread into a greased and paper lined 20cm (8") round cake tin.
- Bake 200 deg celsius 45 minutes.
- Stand a few minutes before turning out.
- When cold spread with Coffee Icing.
- For the Icing: Combine melted butter with the icing sugar.
- Add honey, vanilla and combined coffee powder and water.
- Beat til thick.
This was delicious! I recommend sifting the icing sugar for the icing or else it might turn out a bit lumpy like mine did. This wasn't too rich. A nice dessert!
loved this quick and easy coffee cake!