Recipe by lawmama
This pasta dish is especially great because there's no need to boil the pasta separately; instead, it cooks right in the sauce. I Adapted from CooksIllustrated.com.
Top Review by Alisson K.
This recipe is great. I changed out greek yogurt for the whole cream--but mixed it with cheese at the end before throwing in the oven. I also used a whole pound of whole wheat pasta and 4 cups of stock (who wants to leave 1/4 of a bag of pasta or stock lying around). The yogurt made it so yummy and tangy (and a bit lighter too). Will definitely make it again!
- 4 slices bacon, chopped fine
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3⁄4 lb penne
- 1⁄2 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup four cheese blend, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 500 degrees.
- Cook bacon, onion and garlic in a large nonstick skilled over medium-high heat until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth, cream, pasta, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cover and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring frequently, until pasta is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Off heat, stir in Parmaigiano-Reggiano cheese, 1/2 cup of the shredded Italian four-cheese blend and peas and season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Sprinkle with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Serve.