Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Potatoes with a POP!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large chopped onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 3 cups unpeeled cubed potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- Heat olive oil in a 10 inch cast iron skillet.
- Add onion and garlic; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until tender.
- Stir in red pepper and next three ingredients, cook 2 minutes.
- Stir constantly and add potato and butter, stirring well.
- Bake in skillet at 400 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes.
How awesome! I was looking for a quick way to make a fresh potato side, and man this was a great change from the norm. I didn't have a whole onion so I used about 1/4, and it still was great. I agree with Debbb's review, the potatoes for me could have used a bit longer cooking, but the first 15 mins I cooked them with my pork chops that were finishing, so that could have been the reason. We will probably have these left over with breakfast as well! Thanks for sharing.
Oh dear!! These potatoes were so good, I had a hard time saving some for my hubby who was working late. I don't have a cast iron skillet so I cooked in a heavy pot on the stove & transferred to a glass pan for the oven. I baked for about 45 minutes to get the potatoes really brown & slightly crispy. I served with roast beef but think these potatoes with their "home fries" flavour, would be great for breakfast!