Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 mins
Why buy a tube of piping gel when you can make your own quickly and inexpensively?
- 1⁄4 cup white corn syrup
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 3 -4 teaspoons cornstarch (or more if needed for desired consistency)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white vanilla
- food coloring paste
- In microwaveable bowl, mix cold water and cornstarch together.
- Add corn syrup and white vanilla, and stir until combined.
- Microwave on high for 1min 30sec - 2 min until mixture boils and turns clear.
- Remove from microwave and let cool (whisk occasionally while cooling).
- Add food dye (gel) to make desired color.
- Put in piping bag and use to decorate cakes, cookies, etc.
Worked really well. I think they meant 3-4 teaspoons of cornstarch not tablespoons. 1 tablespoon worked perfectly. I colored mine green. Takes to coloring better than I expected.
I cut the recipe in half only needed a bit had to make twice first time used 1 1/2 tbs corn starch but it got too thick so used just one and turned out purfect and only cooked for 45sec =)
This is an amazing recipe, but as one of the messages said, it is 3 teaspoons, not tablespoons.