Recipe by skarimom from Idaho
I came up with this for the need for speed! Unlike other recipies I use Canned Asparagus. My kids like to top it with shredded cheese and we usually serve it with toasted garlic bread.
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cansof chopped asparagus spears (drained)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chicken base or 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 2 cups water (reserve 1/4)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 (15 ounce) cans evaporated milk
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 4 qt dutch oven: Add Asparagus, Butter, onion, pepper, tarragon, celery seed, mustard seed, and chicken base. Simmer together until onion is tender.
- Mash ingredients together with potato masher or put though food processor. Return to heat add water and Evaporated milk.
- using reserved water (1/4 cup) stir in flour until blended and smooth. Stir into soup mixture simmer until slightly thickened. About 15 minutes. Soup will not be extremely thick.