Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is the BEST Pasta casserole dish I have come across!If you like ground beef dishes this is the greatest!I always freeze my leftover beef gravy to have on hand for this dish.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb coarse lean ground beef
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 3⁄4 cup red marinara sauce or 3⁄4 cup spaghetti sauce
- 3⁄4 cup good beef gravy (homemade beef gravy)
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese or 1⁄4 cup romano cheese, freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole dried rosemary
- salt and black pepper, freshly ground to taste
- 3⁄4 lb penne pasta (short,small pasta tubes)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese or 1 cup swiss cheese, coarsely grated
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil.
- Heat a large frying pan and add the oil,beef and garlic.
- Saute until the meat is tender and then drain excess fat.
- Add all remaining ingredients except the cheese for topping and the pasta.
- Simmer the mixture while the pasta cooks until just barely tender.
- Drain the pasta and mix it with the sauce.
- Pour all into a 3 quart glass rectangular baking dish and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered at 350* for 25 minutes or until all is bubbly hot.
Sorry, but was really disappointed. I love quick and easy but found this tasted more like the canned pasta products which may appeal to kids. I really missed the true fresh tomato taste of my favorite bottled marinara that I normally used because it was "masked" by the beef gravy flavor....
YUM!!!!! This is a great supper, with a salad and some crusty bread! I used ground turkey and fat free half and half and a combination of parmesan/romano. The gravy was from Sunday's rolled eye of the round beef roast that I had studded with garlic cloves and fresh thyme. I didn't have quite 3/4C left so added some red wine then proceeded as the recipe directed. Wonderful--the combination of the beef gravy and marinara sauce is a delight----thank you for posting this.