Recipe by DoryJean54
This is the BEST Pasta casserole dish I have come across!If you like ground beef dishes this is the greatest!I always freeze my leftover beef gravy to have on hand for this dish.
Top Review by cookintexan
Sorry, but was really disappointed. I love quick and easy but found this tasted more like the canned pasta products which may appeal to kids. I really missed the true fresh tomato taste of my favorite bottled marinara that I normally used because it was "masked" by the beef gravy flavor....
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb coarse lean ground beef
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 3⁄4 cup red marinara sauce or 3⁄4 cup spaghetti sauce
- 3⁄4 cup good beef gravy (homemade beef gravy)
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese or 1⁄4 cup romano cheese, freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole dried rosemary
- salt and black pepper, freshly ground to taste
- 3⁄4 lb penne pasta (short,small pasta tubes)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese or 1 cup swiss cheese, coarsely grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil.
- Heat a large frying pan and add the oil,beef and garlic.
- Saute until the meat is tender and then drain excess fat.
- Add all remaining ingredients except the cheese for topping and the pasta.
- Simmer the mixture while the pasta cooks until just barely tender.
- Drain the pasta and mix it with the sauce.
- Pour all into a 3 quart glass rectangular baking dish and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered at 350* for 25 minutes or until all is bubbly hot.