Recipe by Ex-Pat Mama
This soup is easy to make with cupboard staples. Based on a recipe by Mark Bittman.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- 1⁄2 onion, sliced thin
- 2 celery ribs (optional)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large saucepan. When hot add the almonds, onions, and celery (if using celery). Sauté the mixture until the nuts begin to brown. Sprinkle the curry powder over all.
- Pour in the broth and the chickpeas - including the liquid. Also add the tomatoes at this point if you are using them. Bring the soup to a boil.
- Simmer until the chickpeas are soft - 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serve hot.