Recipe by Scoop01
A slight variation from a Bon Appetite recipe from March 2000. It is made in under 30 minutes - perfect for a weekday meal yet satisfying enough to serve to friends for a casual weekend meal.
Top Review by HEP MEP
Yum! Made this last night since it was just the two of us. (Kiddo likes Italian sausage, but not IN things...go figure...) Anyway. I followed your recipe except I added a little onion and green pepper in with the mushrooms, and I used linquine instead of penne. We both scarfed down two helpings! Thanks!
- 1 lb sweet sausage, casings removed
- 3⁄4 lb baby portabella mushrooms, chopped & sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3⁄4 cup canned reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 lb penne
- 1 cup fresh parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, over medium heat saute sausage (casings removed) until crumbled and brown.
- Remove to a paper towel-lined dish with a slotted spoon.
- Add butter, mushrooms and crushed red pepper to same skillet and saute in sausage drippings.
- Cover, cook until mushrooms are tender - about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and whipping cream to skillet - reduce heat to low. Occasionally stirring as sauce thickens.
- In different pot, cook pasta according to directions on box. Drain pasta. Return to same pot.
- Add sausage, mushroom mixture, and cheese to pasta.
- Toss over medium heat, until pasta is coated and sauce begins to thicken.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- **Add more chicken broth if sauce seems dry.