Recipe by southern chef in louisiana
This is a quick and hearty meal--a real stick-to-your-rib dinner.
- 3 cups water
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/3 ounce) can Mexican-style tomatoes
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 dash salt and pepper
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In large saucepan over medium heat combine the first 13 ingredients; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour or until vegetables are tender.
- For dumplings, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
- In another bowl, combine egg white, milk, and oil,; stir into dry ingredients.
- Drop into 8 mounds onto boiling soup; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes (do not lift cover during cooking).