Prep 20 mins
Cook 16 mins
This recipe came from a friend which I tweaked, and I have used it for years. They are best right out of the oven, but also freeze well. This makes a lot so you have plenty to share! Teens love them, too. I am continually asked for the recipe so I decided to post so I would not loose it.
- 2 cups boiling water
- 4 cups fruit and high fiber cereal (or any high fiber cereal flavor you like)
- 2 cups bran flakes
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 quart buttermilk
- 5 teaspoons baking soda
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- Combine cereal in extra-large bowl and pour bowling water over it to soften while you make the batter.
- In a mixer, cream together sugar and apple sauce. Add eggs one at a time to incorporate.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt. Slowly add flour mixture to the mixer, alternating between flour and buttermilk to make batter. Scrape down sides of the bowl as needed. Once, combined, pour batter over cereal and stir until all is incorporated. Let the mixture sit a few minutes so cereal will soften in the batter.
- Spoon into greased muffin tins. Bake in preheated oven at 400* for 16-18 minutes. Do not overcook. They are best when they are "just done" and not beyond that so the centers stay really moist.