Recipe by fayz
These cookies can be varied and pack a lot of nutrition - the perfect snack food. Kids like them, especially with chocolate chips (not only kids ...). The high ratio of oatmeal to flour bumps up their glycemic index, and of course you can reinforce this by substituting whole wheat flour and adding nuts and dried fruits. Sometimes I add allspice, cloves and/or ginger to vary the flavor, or add cocoa to the flour (and slightly increase the juice). The original recipe came from a Quaker's oatmeal tub.
- 3⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons juice
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cups oats
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups nuts (optional) or 1 1⁄2-2 cups raisins (optional) or 1 1⁄2-2 cups dried fruits (optional) or 1 1⁄2-2 cups chocolate chips (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat margarine with sugars until creamy.
- Add egg and juce.
- Combine flour, baking soda and cinnamon. Add to the creamed mixture.
- Stir in oats and other additions.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls on greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 350F for 15-18 minutes.
- Cool a little before removing.