- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons ghee (or vegetable oil)
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix flours, salt and Ghee until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Add just enough water until it forms a soft dough. Place on a counter and knead for 5-8 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Put aside, covered, let rest for 20 minutes.
- Form the dough by rolling rounded teaspoonfuls into balls, then rolling those into 3 to 4 inch circles on a lightly floured surface. Cover to prevent drying.
- Heat 2" oil to 375 degrees. Fry patties, two or three at a time, turning once,until golden brown, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. You may need to help the puffing by holding down flat spots with your spoon. Drain on paper towels.
- They can be made ahead and kept warm in a 300 degree oven for 30 to 40 minutes covered with foil. Or, for that matter, you can let them cool, and reheat the same way, warming for twenty minutes.