Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 mins
A delicious bread to serve with Indian curries. For Zarr World Tour 8
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons ghee (or vegetable oil)
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup water
- Mix flours, salt and Ghee until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Add just enough water until it forms a soft dough. Place on a counter and knead for 5-8 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Put aside, covered, let rest for 20 minutes.
- Form the dough by rolling rounded teaspoonfuls into balls, then rolling those into 3 to 4 inch circles on a lightly floured surface. Cover to prevent drying.
- Heat 2" oil to 375 degrees. Fry patties, two or three at a time, turning once,until golden brown, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. You may need to help the puffing by holding down flat spots with your spoon. Drain on paper towels.
- They can be made ahead and kept warm in a 300 degree oven for 30 to 40 minutes covered with foil. Or, for that matter, you can let them cool, and reheat the same way, warming for twenty minutes.
They came out wonderful: golden, puffy and delicious.