Prep 5 mins
Cook 21 hrs
From the second Elle cookbook, this puree is great served warm with any grilled or roasted meat or wonderful as a dip.
- 300 g dried haricot beans
- 3 medium garlic cloves
- 1 bouquet garni
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves
- 40 g ground walnuts
- 120 ml olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- Sort and wash beans and put into pan with a large quantity cold water.
- bring slowly to boil over period of 45 mins, as soon as water bubbles drain off water and cover the beans with more boiling water.
- add bouquet garni and the onion peeled and stuck with the cloves.
- continue cooking slowly for another 13/4 hours.
- season with salt towards end of cooking time.
- drain and keep 5 fluid oz of cooking liquid.
- put beans thru blender but watch carefully to retain a texture in the puree.
- mix in the crushed garlic and ground walnuts.
- add the olive oil and as much cooking liquid as is needed to obtain required consistency.
- season well and add sherry vinegar to taste.