Recipe by Barbell Bunny
A classic cream-filled cake gets a pumpkin twist.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Made these to share with a neighbor couple ~ Big hit! We devoured them plain & simple, & they were wonderful! Still, another time I'd like to serve them topped with a homemade caramel sauce or just a slight drizzle of a chocolate sauce! Thanks for sharing your recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick A Chef]
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, 1 stick melted, 1/2 stick softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon plus 2 pinches salt
- 1 2⁄3 cups flour
- 4 ounces cream cheese, chilled
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter and brown sugar until smooth.
- Whisk in the eggs, pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, 1 teaspoon vanilla, the baking powder, the baking soda and 3/4 teaspoon salt.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in the flour.
- Using an ice cream scoop or tablespoon, drop 12 generous mounds of batter, spaced evenly, onto each baking sheet.
- Bake until springy to the touch, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, using an electric mixer, cream the softened butter with the cream cheese.
- Add the confectioners' sugar and the remaining 2 pinches salt and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.
- Mix on low speed until blended, then beat on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Spread the flat side of 12 cakes with the cream cheese frosting. Top each with another cake.