Recipe by Sharlene~W
An adaptation of a Bert Green recipe by Beth Hensperger I found in local newspaper.
Top Review by Monica Livesay
Thank you so much for this wonderful recipe. I always look for something pumpkiny to take to our fall family reunion, and this was a hit. Easy to make a delivers that taste of fall. I did make change, as i had to use pumpkin pie spice instead of what was in the recipe, but this a keeeper amd will be made again and again. Just be warned, get a small serving, for it is very rich.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract (divided)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄4 cup cream cheese, softened (2 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- purchased caramel sauce
- whipped cream or vanilla ice cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter and flour an 8-inch square glass baking dish.
- With electric mixer; beat butter and brown sugar until smooth and fluffy.
- Add whole egg and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Add flour, baking powder, spices and salt.
- Add pumpkin, beat well, then add pecans.
- Batter will be thick.
- Spread batter into pan.
- Beat together cream cheese, 2 tablespoons sugar, egg yolk, heavy cream, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon vanilla until smooth.
- Drop by spoonfuls over batter.
- Using small knife, gently swirl cream cheese mixture to create a marble pattern.
- Bake in center of oven until tester inserted into center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Let pan rest on rack until brownies are just warm.
- Serve warm squares with a drizzle of warm caramel sauce and a spoonful of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
- If not serving immediately, cover with foil and let stand at room temperature for up to one day.
- Reheat in a 300 degree oven for 15 minutes before serving to serve warm.