Prep 45 mins
Cook 40 mins
Serve with sweetened whipped cream or frost it with a cream cheese frosting.
Make and share this Pumpkin Spice Sheet Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil, plus additional
- canola oil, for greasing the pan
- 1 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned pumpkin puree
- 1 cup buttermilk (regular or low-fat, but not fat-free)
- Position oven rack in center of oven; preheat oven to 350°; dab a little canola oil on a paper towel and lightly grease a 13x9 inch baking pan.
- Whisk both flours, the baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, salt, and nutmeg in a bowl; set aside.
- Use an electric mixer to beat both sugars and the eggs in a big bowl until very thick, velvety, and almost doubled in volume, about 5 minutes.
- Beat in the canola oil, then beat in the pumpkin puree until smooth.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat in ½ cup buttermilk.
- Turn off beaters, add half the flour mixture and beat at low speed just until incorporated.
- Add the remaining ½ cup buttermilk and beat until fairly smooth.
- Then add the remaining flour mixture and beat for just a few seconds, until the flour has been incorporated.
- Remove the beaters; give the batter a few turns with a rubber spatula to make sure there is no undissolved flour, then pour and scrape into the prepared pan, smoothing it gently but evenly to the corners.
- Bake about 40 minutes, until lightly browned and springy to the touch and pick comes out clean.
- Set pan on a wire rack for at least 20 minutes before cutting; let cool completely if you are going to frost it.
- Variations: add ½ cup of any of the following with the flour: semisweet chocolate chips, bittersweet chocolate chips, cocoa nibs, chopped raisins, chopped dried cranberries, or chopped dried cherries.