Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe comes from Fat Free Vegan Kitchen and I absolutely LOVE it! I made this as gifts for people for Christmas and it was adored by all. My kids begged me to make more!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil or 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Ener-G Egg Substitute, mixed well with
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 2⁄3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup chopped pecans (optional) or 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Oil 1 regular sized loaf pan or 4 small ( approximately 3 1/2 X 5 1/2-inch) loaf pans or a dozen muffin cups.
- Combine the wet ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl and blend well.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
- Add the liquid mixture to the dry, and stir well. Stir in the nuts, if desired.
- Pour the batter into the pan(s) and place on the center rack of oven.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean--about 15 minutes for muffins, 35 minutes for small loaf pans, and 60-70 minutes for one large loaf. Allow to cool before removing from pan.
I love all the spices in this bread. I did make a few variations that I like. Made the recipe to serve 12 so that I could use 1 whole can of pumpkin, used equal parts white and brown sugar (less white/more brown). Used 2 eggs instead of water and egg substitute. Used primarily whole wheat pastry flour with some oat bran instead of plain flour. I like to make my pumpkin bread in cereal bowls -cute round shape and the middle seems to cook better. Wonderful recipe!