1 hr 30 mins
maryjane in spain's Note:
This recipe is from Michel Nischan's cookbook, "Homegrown Pure and Simple" as featured on Rachel Ray Nov. 06. The soup is spicy and has a wonderful depth of flavour. It smells great whilst cooking The deep fried sage is heavenly !
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs pumpkin or 3 lbs squash, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 sweet white onion
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and cut length-wise
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 small red Thai chile or 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 cups vegetable stock or 4 cups chicken stock
- 12 fresh sage leaves, large
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Mix pumpkin cubes with olive oil and salt and pepper.
- 3Roast for about 25 minutes, or until nearly tender when pricked with a fork.
- 4Meanwhile, coat the onion slices and the garlic with the 2 teaspoons of olive oil.
- 5Add to pan and return to the oven for about 15 minutes longer, or until the pumpkin and onion are tender.
- 6Put all the vegetables in a large pot.
- 7Add cardamom, cinnamon, chili and stock to the pot and bring to a simmer over high heat.
- 8Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 20-25 minutes, or until the pumpkin cubes begin to dissolve.
- 9Remove the cinnamon sticks.
- 10Transfer the soup to a blender or food processor and process until smooth, working in batches if necessary.
- 11Return soup to the saucepan. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover to keep warm.
- 12Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in a saucepan over high heat until the handle of a wooden spoon bubbles when inserted.
- 13Place the sage leaves individually into oil and fry for about 1 minute, or until crisp.
- 14Remove to kitchen towel with a slotted spoon.
- 16Ladle into warm soup bowls and garnish with crispy sage leaves. Serve at once.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpkin Soup With Crispy Sage Garnish
Serving Size: 1 (264 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 204.8
- Calories from Fat 138
- Total Fat 15.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 100.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 2.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
red Thai chile
fresh sage leaves