Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This pumpkin soup has a bit of Latin flare.
Make and share this Pumpkin Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs pumpkin, peeled and seeded,cut into 1" cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 green onions, trimmed and finely chopped
- 3 tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream or 2⁄3 cup yogurt
- Put the pumpkin in a saucepan and add enough water to cover.
- Add 1 tsp of salt and bring to a boil, lower the heat to a simmer for 20 minutes.
- Drain and reserve the cooking liquid.
- Melt the butter in a clean saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and green onions and fry them, stirring constantly until they are soft and golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin, tomatoes, coconut milk, 3 cups of the cooking liquid, half the nutmeg, a pinch of cayenne pepper, salt and freshly ground pepper Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat and leave it to cool slightly.
- Puree half the soup at a time in a blender, then return to the pan.
- Heat it through for 5 minutes.
- Pour into warmed soup bowls and swirl a bit of the sour cream or yogurt in it and sprinkle fresh nutmeg on top Serve at once.
It is just perfect.
I have just made a batch of this and it is wonderful, smells divine and the coconut milk adds a nice change. Can't wait for hubbie to get home so we can dig in....I bags the soup ladle :)