Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Nutty streusel, bourbon-laced filling, butter cookie crust...who can resist?
Make and share this Pumpkin Pie With Streusel Topping & Shortbread Crust recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups unbleached flour (I use whole wheat)
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 11 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut in cubes
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream (I use milk)
- 2 cups pure solid-pack pumpkin
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream (I use milk)
- 1⁄4 cup Bourbon (Jack Daniels also works)
- 3⁄4 cup unbleached flour or 3⁄4 cup wheat flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 cup walnut halves, toasted and chopped (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup crystallized ginger (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- CRUST- mix flour Sugar, orange zest, and salt in a bowl on low speed for 30 seconds.
- Add butter on low speed until mixture looks crumbly (approx 3 minutes). I use a pastry cutter.
- Add egg and cream, mixing on low speed til dough is just combined.
- Mold dough into a 1-inch-thick disk and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour or for up to a week (or freeze for up to a month).
- FILLING - Place pumpkin into a bowl and whisk in the eggs one at a time.
- Add both sugars, flour, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and salt and whisk about 30 seconds.
- Whisk in heavy cream and bourbon.
- STRUESEL TOPPING - Combine flour, both sugars, cinnamon, and salt in a food processor or bowl.
- Add the butter and pulse (or cut) until butter has blended and mixture is crumbly.
- Stir in the walnuts and crystallized ginger.
- ASSEMBLE THE TART.
- Unwrap dough and let it warm up until it is pliable (5-15 minutes).
- Roll the disk into a 13 inch round and drape around a 10 inch tart pan.
- Pour the pumpkin mixture into the unbaked tart crust
- Scatter the struesel topping evenly over the pumpkin mixture.
- Bake until the topping is evenly cooked and no longer looks set in the center (50-65 minutes).
- Let the tart cool for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Serve with lightly sweetend whip cream or with vanilla ice cream.
This pie was fabulous! No clue as to why nobody has tried this recipe or rated it. Hmm? Well I did and loved it! However I used Pillsbury crust and did not use the bourbon. Next year I will make this again with JD for sure and maybe even go the whole 9 yards and make the crust as well. The streusel, by the way was awesome!! Great recipe Erica...