Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Top Review by Space Cake Cook
I chose this recipe because my husband loves pumpkin, sausage, and mushrooms. I skipped the shiitake mushrooms ($4/pound!) and subbed regular mushroom caps. The hubby thought the recipe was 'okay', I hated it. The sauce was too salty (probably from the chicken stock), the meal was very heavy (both in feeling and calorie content), and the flavor combination didn't appeal to me at all. We threw the recipe out of our box and have no plans to make it again.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb bulk sweet Italian sausage
- 1⁄4 lb shiitake mushroom caps
- 2 portabella mushroom caps, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 (14 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 2 -3 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- ground cinnamon (a pinch)
- 3⁄4-1 lb penne or 3⁄4-1 lb cellantani pasta
- grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh chives
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, heat a deep skillet over med-high heat; add in olive oil and sausage.
- Brown the sausage and crumble it with a wooden spoon.
- Move the sausage to one side of the pan; add in the mushrooms, garlic, and onion to the other side of the pan.
- Cook until the mushrooms brown, then season with salt and pepper.
- Combine the sausage and veggies; deglaze the pan with the wine.
- Add in the chicken stock; heat for 1 minute.
- Stir in the pumpkin; it will be thick; stir in the cream, sage, nutmeg, and cinnamon; adjust seasoning with salt and pepper; reduce heat to low.
- Add salt and pasta to the boiling water; cook until al dente.
- Drain the pasta well and add it to the pumpkin mixture; top with cheese and chives.