Prep 45 mins
Cook 35 mins
I got this recipe from my husbands Aunt - an AMAZING cook! I can't seem to make this often enough for friends. It is a favorite, but it is a bit time consuming. The time is well worth it when you try your first bite!
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup butter (melted)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups pumpkin (not pumpkin mix)
- 3 egg yolks (save whites)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 (10 ounce) Cool Whip
- 1⁄2 cup pecans (chopped)
- Mix together graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter.
- Press into lightly greased 9x13-inch pan.
- Beat cream cheese.
- Add sugar & beat.
- Add eggs and beat together.
- Pour over graham cracker crust.
- Bake 20 minute @ 350 degrees.
- Let cool - to room temperature
- While cooling cheese cake mixture, on stove mix together in a small saucepan pumpkin, egg yolks, sugar, milk, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves.
- Cook until mixture begins to thicken. (I cook for entire 20 minutes first layer is baking).
- Let cool.
- Beat egg whites until almost stiff.
- Add sugar and beat until stiff peaks form (peaks stand straight up when beaters are pulled out of mixture.)
- Fold egg whites into cooled pumpkin mixture. Pour over cream cheese layer.
- Spread cool whip over pumpkin mixture.
- Sprinkle chopped nuts on top.
- Refrigerate several hours before serving.