Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is based on a recipe I found years ago on allrecipes.com, but probably looks nothing like the original recipe because reviewers offered so many variations. This is my favorite version. (I might add mushrooms next time, just to try it; looks yummy in Pumpkin Chili.)
- 3 lbs ground beef
- 1 large onion
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 (46 ounce) can tomato juice
- 1 (28 ounce) canpeeled and diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (29 ounce) can pumpkin puree (NOT pie filling)
- 1⁄2-1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄4 cup chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Over medium heat in a large pot, brown beef and drain.
- Stir in onion & bell pepper; cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in beans, tomato juice, diced tomatoes, and pumpkin.
- Season with pumpkin pie spice, chili powder, cumin, and sugar.
- Simmer 1 hour.
I loved the way the pumpkin added thickness to the soup and a wonderful dimension to the flavors. I halved the ground beef, used chicken broth for the tomato juice and added carrots and celery. The pumpkin was not sweet in any way but was savory. I really enjoyed it.
I thought this recipe had great texture. I added some garlic just because & some hot sauce for some heat. I really don't think anyone would suspect that pumpkin is one of the main ingredients if you didn't tell them. I'm pretty sure I followed the ingredietn amounts & I had enough to feed a small army...VERY generous 8-10 portions.
I liked it but very different from the "traditional" chili. Easy to make. The pumpkin made the chili texture great and the smoothness might be continued if the beans were pureed too. I added a "shot" of ground cayanne pepper for that pop you expect with chili. If I make this again I think I will make it with diced chicken and more green pepper. I thought it tasted like it needed more green (something). Thanks for the recipe. This shoulld do well at the chili cook off I am attending this weekend.