Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Light and fluffy, yet rich and creamy. Perfect if your looking for a change from plain pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving. The rum extract adds a really nice flavor to this too. The brand of tofu cream cheese I prefer to use is Tofutti brand, the non-hydrogenated kind comes with a YELLOW lable, and is available in Whole Foods, or most well stocked supermarkets. Also, I like the technique of leaving the baked cheesecake in the oven to cool. There were NO CRACKS!! Basic recipe from The Vegetarian Meat and Potatoes Cookbook
- 1⁄2 cup graham cracker crumbs, vegan (about 12 whole crackers)
- 1⁄4 cup vegan margarine, melted (I use Earth Balance)
- 16 ounces soy cream cheese (Tofutti brand)
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly oil an 8-inch springform pan or coat with nonstick spray.
- Place the crumbs directly into the pan, add the melted margarine and toss with fork to combine.
- Press the crumbs evenly against the bottom and side of the pan and set aside.
- Place the tofu cream cheese in a food processor and process until smooth. Add the pumpkin and process until blended.
- Add the sugar, rum extract, cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg and process until well blended.
- Spread the filling evenly into the prepared crust.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until firm.
- Turn off the oven and allow cheesecake to cool in the oven for 30 minutes to an hour without opening the oven door.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely at room temperature. Refrigerate for several hours before serving.