Recipe by Kozmic Blues
Light and fluffy, yet rich and creamy. Perfect if your looking for a change from plain pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving. The rum extract adds a really nice flavor to this too. The brand of tofu cream cheese I prefer to use is Tofutti brand, the non-hydrogenated kind comes with a YELLOW lable, and is available in Whole Foods, or most well stocked supermarkets. Also, I like the technique of leaving the baked cheesecake in the oven to cool. There were NO CRACKS!! Basic recipe from The Vegetarian Meat and Potatoes Cookbook
Top Review by Constance O.
This is a very simple, easy recipe. I have made this for many years. It is delicious. I have tried different crusts, such as a gluten-free pretzel crust, a speculoos cookie crust, and the crust from this recipe, and had great success. I have served this depending on the occasion, various ways. My favorite ways to serve it are with a vegan praline top, a caramel glaze, and with vegan whipped cream. I have yet to try an oreo crust but that is next on my list. I love this very simple recipe. It is often my go to when I am not willing to invest the time, effort, and ingredients needed to create a cashew based cheesecake. If you can't find rum extract, I have substituted rum in the same amount, using a dark heavier flavored rum. The best part is that even those who are not vegan, love this cheesecake.
- 1⁄2 cup graham cracker crumbs, vegan (about 12 whole crackers)
- 1⁄4 cup vegan margarine, melted (I use Earth Balance)
- 16 ounces soy cream cheese (Tofutti brand)
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly oil an 8-inch springform pan or coat with nonstick spray.
- Place the crumbs directly into the pan, add the melted margarine and toss with fork to combine.
- Press the crumbs evenly against the bottom and side of the pan and set aside.
- Place the tofu cream cheese in a food processor and process until smooth. Add the pumpkin and process until blended.
- Add the sugar, rum extract, cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg and process until well blended.
- Spread the filling evenly into the prepared crust.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until firm.
- Turn off the oven and allow cheesecake to cool in the oven for 30 minutes to an hour without opening the oven door.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely at room temperature. Refrigerate for several hours before serving.