Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
NOT gluten-free, but I'm working on that. A family favorite, I give my GF son some of his gluten-free pumpkin bread with the caramel sauce when we have this dish. In a pinch, I used evaporated milk instead of half & half, seemed to be just as good.
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 473.18 ml half-and-half or 473.18 ml eggnog
- 425.24 g pumpkin
- 236.59 ml brown sugar
- 9.85 ml cinnamon
- 7.39 ml ground ginger
- 4.92 ml ground nutmeg
- 2.46 ml ground cloves
- 9.85 ml vanilla
- 2365.9 ml cinnamon raisin bread or 2365.9 ml challah bread, cubed into 1/2-inch pieces
- 177.44 ml raisins (can use less if using raisin bread)
- 177.44 ml pecans, chopped
- 295.73 ml brown sugar
- 118.29 ml butter
- 118.29 ml whipping cream
- 4.92 ml rum flavoring (optional)
- 354.88 ml whipping cream (optional)
- 59.14 ml extra-fine sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray 11x7 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Whisk half & half/eggnog, pumpkin, brown sugar, eggs, spices & vanilla in large mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Fold in bread cubes, raisins & pecans.
- Pour into baking dish, let stand for 15 minutes.
- Bake until tester inserted in middle comes out clean, 35-40 minutes.
- Caramel sauce:.
- Over medium heat, in medium saucepan, whisk brown sugar & butter until gets to a rolling boil. Whisk in whipping cream, lower heat, continue whisking until sauce is smooth & thickens a bit. Should still be a pouring consistency.
- Whipped cream:.
- Whip whipping cream & extra-fine sugar together in chilled mixing bowl until stiff peaks form. Use to garnish bread pudding & caramel sauce.
I used a pound of a nutty, whole grain bread for this pudding & also the half-and-half, then left out the rum & omitted the whipped topping! Very nice, topped with this caramel sauce! Thanks for posting the recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in this Spring's Pick A Chef event]