Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
This makes a lot of dough makes two good-sized loaves. Recipe adapted from church cookbook.
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup oil
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 cups canned pumpkin
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
- Grease and flour 2 loaf pans (9x5-inch).
- Sift together first 6 ingredients (flour- nutmeg).
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs.
- Add oil, water and pumpkin to eggs, blend well.
- Add flour mixture to batter, blending well.
- Fold in nuts and raisins.
- Pour into loaf pans, filling them half full.
- Bake for 1 hour 10 minutes to 1 hour 20 minutes or until done.
This is a real winner. The bread is tender and smells so good when it is coming out of the oven.
Lovely, tender pumpkin loaf. I was in pumpkin heaven. I do love all the warm spices associated with pumpkin pie and did not hesitate to add 1/4 tsp each of ground cloves and allspice. Yum!
Very good pumpkin bread! Everyone liked it. I sprinkled the top and sides with brown sugar prior to baking so it would have crunchy edges. Other than that, no changes.