Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A delicious addition to a Thanksgiving feast. Can be made in loaf pans, bundt pans or as cupcakes and freezes extremely well. serve with sweetened , whipped cream cheese.I think this recipe came from Bon Appetite about 25-30 years ago.
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 (29 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup oil or 1 cup applesauce
- 5 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped dates
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease at least 1 large ring mold.
- Combine sugar, pumpkin and eggs in a large bowl and beat with mixer until wsell blended.
- Add oil (or applesauce) and beat to combine.
- Thoroughly blend in flour, soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt.
- Sir in dates and nuts.
- Fill prepared pan or pans 3/4 full to allow3 for rising during baking.
- Bake about 1 hour (in bundt pan or ring bold) or until toothpick inserted near center of bread comes out clean and bread has pulled away slightly from sides of pan.
- Serve with sweetened, whipped cream cheese.
We liked the aroma, and it looked good from the outside, but when I sliced it this a.m. for breakfast (with our scrambled cheesy eggs), the loaf was extremely heavy and uncooked-looking on the inside (and I cooked it the full hour plus). CHANGES I MADE TO THE RECIPE: I halved the recipe, so it was a smaller loaf. I used half oil and half applesauce. Also, I made a filling using HALF of the dates from the recipe along with a 1/2 C. packed brown sugar and a 1/4 C. soft butter (mixed together with fingertips), spooned HALF the batter into the prepped Bundt pan followed by the filling, then the remaining batter. The filling is delightful...and I'm sure if the bread wasn't so heavy and the pumpkin flavor could come through---would be a delightful complement. Anyway, I plan to slice some of the remaining bread and then sizzle-grill for a few minutes in a lightly buttered HOT pan. The rest I'll run through the toaster and see how that goes! I really want to LOVE this recipe, as it seems to have all the ingredients that would make it irresistable. *Made for PAC Autumn 08*