Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups peeled cored and chopped apples
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Lightly grease 18 muffin cups or use paper liners.
- In a large bowl, sift together 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 2 cups sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together eggs, pumpkin and oil.
- Add pumpkin mixture to flour mixture; stirring just to moisten.
- Fold in apples.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
- In a small bowl, mix together 2 tablespoons flour, 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle topping evenly over muffin batter.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
I've made these MANY times now and they are, bar none, our favorite muffin recipe. The only changes I make are: using 1 1/2 cups sugar (3/4 cup brown and 3/4 cup regular); doubling the streusel topping (my husband's favorite part); using olive oil instead of veggie oil; doubling the spices. I have found that doubling the spices and using some brown sugar adds a richness to these muffins. Baking them a second longer than 35 minutes tends to make them a bit overdone and stick to the pan. They are even better 2 or 3 days later...after they have been incubating in a tupperware for awhile, it makes them even more moist and yummified. I only wish I could take credit for this recipe myself when I give them away to people, but alas, I cannot tell a lie and I tell them where I got the recipe, hee hee. Thanks! :)
This is my new favorite muffin recipe! I replaced one cup of flour with whole wheat, and about 2/3 of the oil with apple butter. It worked great and cut some calories and fat, added some fiber. Thanks!
These are amazing muffins. I've been making these exact muffins for years and everyone loves them! Even my sister who usually turns her nose up at pumpkin! Thanks for adding a great recipe.