Apple Walnut Streusel Muffins
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup Greek yogurt or 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup diced apple, such as granny smith
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Butter muffin cups or line with muffin liners.
- Put streusel topping ingredients into a medium-size bowl.
- Mix with a fork, then crumble with fingers until mixture looks like chopped walnuts.
- For muffins: thoroughly mix flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, allspice, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Break eggs into another bowl.
- Add yoghurt and melted butter, and whisk until well blended.
- Stir in diced apple.
- Pour egg mixture over flour mixture and fold in just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Scoop batter into muffin cups.
- Top each muffin with about 2 teaspoons of the streusel topping.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until done.
Join The Conversation
Fabulous muffins! I made them with gluten free flour, and it worked perfectly. For the Greek yoghurt I used Greek sheep yoghurt. I think my muffin tins were a bit too small, they did rise very nicely, and I got the typical "muffin tops" LOL Thanks for sharing, this was a great way to use some of the many apples from the garden!<br/>Made for CQ 2014
I'm not a great baker, but these are so easy, turned out perfectly. I almost forgot to add the butter to the streusel mixture, realised at the last minute, just as I was starting to put it on the muffins! easily rectified, and these turned out perfectly, highly recommended! I used the Greek yoghurt. made for Culinary QUEST, PNW region , International Agents of QUEST