Recipe by Sharon123
This is light enough to serve after a big meal. Adapted from Country Woman magazine. This was sent in by Judiann McNulty, from Newberg, Oregon.
Top Review by Kittencal@recipezazz
Wonderful light cake, for anyone that is a pumpkin lover, this is a must-make! I doubled the amount of cinnamon, nutmeag and vanilla. This cake will be enjoyed by my family this weekend, thanks Sharon!...Kitten:)
- 12 large egg whites (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup flour (cake flour is best)
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup canned pumpkin
- confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- The egg whites need to stand about 30 minutes at room temperature before using.
- Preheat oven to 350° and set oven rack to lowest position.
- Meanwhile, sift the flour, 1 cup sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg together twice; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar, vanilla and salt on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the remaining sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time, on HIGH speed until stiff glossy peaks form and the sugar is dissolved.
- Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time. Now fold in the pumpkin.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10" tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets.
- Bake at 350°F for 40-45 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan. Remove to a serving plate. Sprinkle top of cake with confectioners sugar.