This is an amazing rice side dish with complex flavors, but simple prep! It has a sweet and salty element to it and the spices will make your kitchen SING! Originally made for a Girl Scout function, but EVERYONE loved it and it is now a family favorite! (Found on a Nepali website.) Also re-heats easily. The golden raisins add the most delicious bit of sweet to the rice!
- Wash the rice several times and let it soak for 30 minutes.
- Drain the rice well in a sieve.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-low heat and cook onion until soft.
- Add all ingredients & spices, (except salt) to the pan and stir fry for 2 minutes over medium heat.
- Add 2 cups of water to the pan with salt and bring to a boil then cover tightly and.
- turn the heat to low.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, adding additional water during cooking, if necessary, until rice is tender and fluffy and all the water is absorbed.
- Remove bay leaf, cloves and cinnamon sticks before serving.