Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
I was served this Deli Roll for a Shabbat appetizer at a friend's house, and I immediately knew the recipe was destined for my personal adaptation for a spicier appetite. Everyone, including the kids, loved the look and taste of this easy to prepare first course. **** New optional toppings. I love everything bagels so I tried it on the deli roll. Onions, sesame & poppy seeds, sea salt & garlic powder. Got to try it!!! it is great! **** New Idea ***** roll a cabanos (Polish Sausage) in the middle.
- 1⁄2 kg frozen puff pastry, defrosted (half sheet)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 100 g deli chicken (smoked, BBQ, honey roasted, grilled, etc)
- 100 g deli roast beef (smoked, roasted, grilled, etc)
- 100 g deli turkey (smoked, BBQ, honey roasted, grilled, etc)
- 1 Polish sausage (optional) or 1 pepperoni (optional) or 1 smoked sausage (optional)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 pinch chili powder (optional)
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds (optional)
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds (optional)
- 2 teaspoons fried onions (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (optional)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 °F (180°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lay out pastry dough flat, and cut into half.
- Spread mustard on the dough. Layer the 3 different types of cold cuts, one type on top of the other.
- Roll the dough. Brush the roll with egg lightly beaten with chili powder. Sprinkle with one or all of the following sesame seeds, poppy seeds, fried onion, sea salt & garlic powder if desired.
- Bake at 350 °F (180°C) for 45 minutes, or until browned.
This was tasty, though very greasy and salty. I would not salt the dough, since the deli meats were salty enough, used pepperoni and it was very oily. It was attractive though.
Thank you for this receipe. It is simple to make and the presentation is impressive. I serve this as an appetizer and leave it whole and cut it into servings at the table. Dinner guests always ask for the recipe. I've found that you can use any combination of cold cuts and it still comes out delicious. Kol HaKavod!!!
I really like the kick the chili powder gave the wash! I think I will half the amount of pastry next time. It was a little too heavy on the carbs, but that was great!!!!!