Recipe by Country Cookin' Mama
My Grandma comes from Puerto Rico and she got this recipe from her mom, who made it because they were poor and it streched out the food to feed her 8 kids and all of the neighbors too!
Top Review by houseofyore
Delicious, my family loved it! It was VERY EASY to make. I used about 3 pounds of chicken breast rather than a whole chicken so i cooked it about 2 hours. I plan on making this all the time!!!
- 1 whole chicken, cut up & skin removed
- 1 onion, cut into large chunks
- 2 large potatoes, peeled & cut into large chunks
- 3 carrots, cut into large chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- garlic salt
- salt & pepper
- goya sazon goya, 2 packets or 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cumin
- cooked white rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Season Chicken with garlic salt, salt & pepper. Put a small amount of oil in a large pot, brown chicken on medium high heat, but don’t cook all the way through.
- Add the garlic and onion and cook for a few minutes. Add the potatoes, carrots, tomato sauce, cilantro, and sazon or cumin.
- There should be enough liquid to cover most of the food, if it looks like it needs a little more liquid add either another can of tomato sauce or some water.
- Reduce heat to low and cook until the chicken and veggies are done, I usually cook it for at least an hour, the longer the better though, because as the potatoes break down they thicken the sauce.
- Serve with hot white rice, beans and slices of avocado. Yummy.