Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
My Grandma comes from Puerto Rico and she got this recipe from her mom, who made it because they were poor and it streched out the food to feed her 8 kids and all of the neighbors too!
- 1 whole chicken, cut up & skin removed
- 1 onion, cut into large chunks
- 2 large potatoes, peeled & cut into large chunks
- 3 carrots, cut into large chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- garlic salt
- salt & pepper
- goya sazon goya, 2 packets or 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cumin
- cooked white rice
- Season Chicken with garlic salt, salt & pepper. Put a small amount of oil in a large pot, brown chicken on medium high heat, but don’t cook all the way through.
- Add the garlic and onion and cook for a few minutes. Add the potatoes, carrots, tomato sauce, cilantro, and sazon or cumin.
- There should be enough liquid to cover most of the food, if it looks like it needs a little more liquid add either another can of tomato sauce or some water.
- Reduce heat to low and cook until the chicken and veggies are done, I usually cook it for at least an hour, the longer the better though, because as the potatoes break down they thicken the sauce.
- Serve with hot white rice, beans and slices of avocado. Yummy.
Delicious, my family loved it! It was VERY EASY to make. I used about 3 pounds of chicken breast rather than a whole chicken so i cooked it about 2 hours. I plan on making this all the time!!!
I downloaded this recipe because I needed a little comfort food from my childhood. The recipe is not like Mami made but it is quite good! It hit the spot along with some white rice and stewed pinto beans. I let this cook about an hour and a half on the stove top because with my little guy interrupting I didn't quite get the beans on the stove at the right time. I used about 4 lbs of chicken-thigh parts. I overcrowded my pan (it's the biggest I've got) but it didn't make a difference. I also added extra garlic. Do yourself a favor and buy the sazon in the ethnic section of your supermarket. It tastes sooooo much better that way. I will be making this again and again.