1 hr 20 mins
Country Cookin' Mama's Note:
My Grandma comes from Puerto Rico and she got this recipe from her mom, who made it because they were poor and it streched out the food to feed her 8 kids and all of the neighbors too!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 whole chicken, cut up & skin removed
- 1 onion, cut into large chunks
- 2 large potatoes, peeled & cut into large chunks
- 3 carrots, cut into large chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- garlic salt
- salt & pepper
- goya sazon goya, 2 packets or 1/2-1 teaspoon cumin
- cooked white rice
- 1Season Chicken with garlic salt, salt & pepper. Put a small amount of oil in a large pot, brown chicken on medium high heat, but don’t cook all the way through.
- 2Add the garlic and onion and cook for a few minutes. Add the potatoes, carrots, tomato sauce, cilantro, and sazon or cumin.
- 3There should be enough liquid to cover most of the food, if it looks like it needs a little more liquid add either another can of tomato sauce or some water.
- 4Reduce heat to low and cook until the chicken and veggies are done, I usually cook it for at least an hour, the longer the better though, because as the potatoes break down they thicken the sauce.
- 5Serve with hot white rice, beans and slices of avocado. Yummy.
Browse Our Top Caribbean Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Puerto Rican Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (617 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 705.9
- Calories from Fat 316
- Total Fat 35.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.0 g
- Cholesterol 172.5 mg
- Sodium 804.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.5 g
- Sugars 9.5 g
- Protein 48.8 g