Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a really wonderful Kale side dish originally found in the "More With Less" cookbook. Feel free to leave the bacon out if you so desire. Any other finely chopped meat would be good, or experiment with something to add a bit of flavor if you want to take it vegetarian. I used quick cooking oats because it was what I had but the original recipe calls for regular oatmeal.
- Wash the kale and then remove the inedible middle parts.
- Chop the leaves finely.
- Place them in a large pot and cover with cold water.
- Bring it to a boil.
- When it has boiled for 2 minutes, drain and discard the water.
- Put the kale back into the pot.
- Add 1 cup water and the rest of the ingredients.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
For kale this was really good. I followed the recipe using regular oats, 4-cups cooked kale (a medium bunch) but the change was I added a tbsp. vinegar at the end. I served it over steamed basmati rice and garnished with sour cream. I thought it was YUM. Thanks LadyPit
p.s. even tho this recipe is oddly correct in producing & then using a " quart of kale " I find that most folks would be stumped as to how much to buy or harvest & cook down, in the first place. suggestions >?<