Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
An earthy simple potato salad, prepared in a Mediterranean style.
- 2 lbs red potatoes (about 2-inch in diameter each)
- 6 cups water
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- black pepper
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chervil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh tarragon
- Slice potatoes into 1/4" thick rounds. Place potatoes, salt, and cold water in saucepan; bring to simmer and reduce heat so spuds don't boil.
- Thread garlic clove on a skewer and stick in simmering potato water for 45 seconds, then immediately run garlic under cold water (blanching the garlic mellows the flavor in the salad quite nicely).
- Continue to simmer spuds till tender, about 5 minutes. Don't over cook or they will totally fall apart in the salad.
- Drain spuds, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid. Spread potatoes out on a rimmed baking sheet to cool.
- Mince garlic, add to reserved potato water along with vinegar, mustard, and pepper to taste.
- Drizzle dressing over potatoes and let sit (still on the baking sheet) 10 minutes.
- GENTLY transfer potatoes to serving bowl. Top with herbs and shallots, stir gently till well combined. Serve immediately or chill and serve cold.