Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 4 mins
Recipe from Cooking Light. A nice hearty, yet meatless, dish.
Make and share this Provencale Potato Ragout With Green Olives recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, thinly sliced
- 3 1⁄2 cups tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 4 cups baking potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 2 pounds)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 cup green olives, sliced
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute 10 minutes or until soft, stirring frequently. Add tomato; cook 10 minutes or until the liquid almost evaporates, stirring frequently. Add potato and next 6 ingredients (potatoes through bay leaves); bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 40 minutes or until potato is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in olives; cook an additional 5 minutes. Discard thyme and bay leaves.
I made a third of the recipe for the two of us using 1 well drained can of whole peeled tomatoes instead of fresh ones. They worked just fine. I added a bit of fresh chopped parsley at the end but otherwise followed the recipe This was so simple and made a lovely side to our fresh salmon and it WILL get made again. Thanks for posting it Nancy!