Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Rachael Ray's "Express Lane Meals"
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 lb button mushroom, trimmed and halved
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 green bell peppers or 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1-inch cubes
- salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave, chopped (a couple of sprigs)
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 (14 ounce) canpetite diced tomatoes or 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- crusty bread, such as a baguette
- Heat the evoo in a deep skillet over medium to medium high heat.
- Add the garlic, bay leaf, mushrooms, onions, celery, and peppers.
- Saute for a couple of minutes, then add the eggplant and season everything with salt and pepper and the fresh herbs.
- Cook for 15 minutes or until the eggplant is tender.
- Deglaze with the wine and scrape up the vegetable bits from the bottom of the pan, then stir in the tomatoes or tomatoe sauce and heat through.
- Turn off the heat and discard the bay leaf.
- Let the veggies stand a few minutes, then stir and serve with the warm crusty bread and butter.
I made this for dinner the other night, it was simply amazing! I served it with french bread and it was delicious. Turns out my daughter is mildly allergic to eggplants, I'll make her something different next time but I will make this receipe again and again. I didn't have cooking wine so I substitued with a dry white, NUM!