Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
A simple tomato sauce using mainly fresh ingredients. Comes from Sundays at the Moosewood Restaurant. Its uses are endless!
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 tomatoes, chopped (should yield about 6 cups)
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme (or 1/4 tsp dried)
- 2 tablespoons fresh marjoram (or 2 tsp dried)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Heat the oil in a heavy pot. Add the onions and saute for about 10 minutes, until they are translucent.
- Add in the garlic and bay leaves, let that saute about 5 minutes more.
- Add in the tomates, salt, pepper and herbs - simmer for 20 minutes.
- When the tomatoes have cooked down, add in the tomato paste and simmer for another 10 minutes. Adjust seasoning to your liking.
- Remove the bay leaves and your sauce is ready!
Excellent! We had this with vegetables and pasta. The marjoram is great in it, I added even some more after cooking because I liked the flavour so much. Thanks for sharing!
Made for the Lively Lemon Lovelies for ZWT 8 / France
I made this recipe as part of the Crock Pot challenge in ZWT 8. I did a few changes, reduced the oil to 1 tbsp and used chives and parsley for the fresh herbs. I sauteed the onions and garlic in a pan, and added the mixture to the crock pot along with roma tomatoes. It cooked on high for 90 min and on low for 30 min. I removed the bay leaves and blended the sauce with a hand blender and added fresh herbs and tomato past. The flavour and freshness is delicious. Made by Bistro Babes.