Prep 15 mins
Cook 48 hrs
A neighbor shared some delicious macaroni salad that her neighbor had prepared for a promotion party. I asked for the recipe, but it wasa family secret. This version is very similar, adapted from Quick Cooking, changing a few things to make it more like the salad I had tasted.
- 2 cups ham, cooked, diced into small cubes
- 4 cups cooked elbow macaroni (measured after cooking)
- 1 cup baby shrimp, cooked (can be frozen, thawed)
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 1⁄4 cup sweet onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄4 cup sweet pickle, diced. (gherkins) (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, diced (to taste)
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 4 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill, minced or 1⁄4 teaspoon dried dill
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, totaste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar or 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar substitute, to taste
- Combine the ham, macaroni, shrimp, veggies and cheese in a large bowl.
- Combine dressing with a whisk and pour over salad,tossing to coat.
- Cover and chill at least 2-3 hours before serving.