Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
Quick and easy and very tasty. Most of the ingredients are store-cupboard stapes. You can substitute tinned tomatoes for the fresh if you prefer. Increase the amount of chili if you prefer a little more kick. Serve with linguine or rice with lemon juice squeezed through.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 red chili, chopped
- 100 ml red wine
- 3 tablespoons tomato puree
- 6 large tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large pan and add the prawns. Sprinkle with salt and cook for a couple of minutes until just pink all the way through (don't overcook!).
- Remove the prawns and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil, garlic, onion and chili to the pan and cook gently until the onion is translucent - do not brown.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, lemon juice and basil. Simmer for approximately 20 minutes, stirring regularly until the tomatoes start to break down a little.
- Add the red wine and continue to simmer until the tomatoes are completely soft. Taste and season if required.
- Add the prawns and cook until warmed through.
- Stir in the parsley just before serving.