Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
Very tender and lushly layered with flavor, this chicken dish comes from the fine cooks of the deep South. From the Creole chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 2 roasting chickens, cut-up fryer chickens
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 6 tomatoes, peeled and sliced (canned is also fine)
- 3 green bell peppers or 3 pimientos, seeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups cooked rice
- Season chicken with salt and pepper; brown in the butter.
- Add onions and brown, then flour and tomatoes, peppers, garlic and herbs.
- Simmer for 20 minutes; add stock and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Serve chicken covered with sauce and rice on the side.