Recipe by Wild Thyme Flour
This is such a great tasting recipe. It came from an Indian cook book but I forgot the name. Make sure that the potatoes do not absorb too much water when cooking. My mum is a vegetarian and she loved the idea.
- 4 large potatoes
- 30 g margarine (or ghee)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- plain flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- packaged breadcrumbs
- oil (for frying)
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 zucchini, finely chopped
- 1 small red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 30 g margarine
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 small red fresh chili pepper, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons plain flour
- 2⁄3 cup chutney
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 1 oz margarine in a pan and cook garlic, chili and spices, cook 1 minute stirring. Add veg, stir 5 minutes. Add the blended flour and water and chutney, stir until it boils and thickens. Cool to room temperature.
- Boil or steam potatoes until tender, drain well, mash with margarine. stir in cheese and cool to room temperature.
- Shape 1-2 tbsp of potato into a patty shape and top with 1 tbsp of filling. Put 1-2 tbsp of potato on filling and mould around the filling to seal completely.
- Coat lightly in flour , dip in the eggs then breadcrumbs. Heat the oil in a frying pan and shallow fry till golden brown.