Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
For Temple Kol Ami cooking class
Make and share this Potato Knish recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Boil potatoes in salted water for 15-20 minutes till soft.
- Drain and mash.
- Measure out one cup of the potatoes and reserve the rest.
- In a bowl add the oil and salt to the 1 cup potatoes and mix.
- Then add in the flour and baking soda in stages.
- Then add the cold water and knead dough until in forms a firm ball, then cover and let rest.
- In a medium skillet place the butter and heat, add the onions and cook them at medium temperature as to not brown them .
- Cook till soft, then pour the onions into a mixing bowl then mix them with the rest of the mashed potatoes and salt and pepper.
- Mix till combined. Do Not Overmix!
- Roll out dough on a floured surface till 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut dough into 4 rectangles.
- Place filling in the middle of the dough and fold them over till ends meet then fold the opposite ends over with some of the beaten egg to hold it closed.
- Brush beaten egg over the top of the knish and bake till golden brown approximately 20 minutes.
- Make 4 large knishes you can use the dough recipe with the other fillings like spinach and cheese.