1 hr 20 mins
Lizzie Rodriquez's Note:
For Temple Kol Ami cooking class
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 400.
- 2Boil potatoes in salted water for 15-20 minutes till soft.
- 3Drain and mash.
- 4Measure out one cup of the potatoes and reserve the rest.
- 5In a bowl add the oil and salt to the 1 cup potatoes and mix.
- 6Then add in the flour and baking soda in stages.
- 7Then add the cold water and knead dough until in forms a firm ball, then cover and let rest.
- 8In a medium skillet place the butter and heat, add the onions and cook them at medium temperature as to not brown them .
- 9Cook till soft, then pour the onions into a mixing bowl then mix them with the rest of the mashed potatoes and salt and pepper.
- 10Mix till combined. Do Not Overmix!
- 11Roll out dough on a floured surface till 1/4 inch thick.
- 12Cut dough into 4 rectangles.
- 13Place filling in the middle of the dough and fold them over till ends meet then fold the opposite ends over with some of the beaten egg to hold it closed.
- 14Brush beaten egg over the top of the knish and bake till golden brown approximately 20 minutes.
- 15Make 4 large knishes you can use the dough recipe with the other fillings like spinach and cheese.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potato Knish
Serving Size: 1 (187 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 292.3
- Calories from Fat 82
- Total Fat 9.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 25.6 mg
- Sodium 272.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 6.3 g