- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 1⁄2 cups lukewarm water
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 12 medium potatoes, cooked and mashed (about 4 lbs.)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 beaten eggs
- salt and pepper
- TO MAKE THE DOUGH: combine flour and soda.
- Make a hole in the centre and add beaten egg and egg whites and 1/4 cup of water.
- Gradually mix with a knife, working from the inside out and adding more water in small amounts (about 1/4 cup at a time).
- When well-mixed, divide into 6 balls.
- Knead with your hands and throw dough on counter top several times.
- With a small amount of flour, add 1 Tbsp.
- of oil to each roll.
- Knead until smooth and elastic enough for a thumb print to stay for a few seconds in the dough.
- Place dough in a pie plate and pour remaining oil over balls to soak.
- Let stand at least 1 hour before using.
- FOR THE FILLING: Sauté onions in vegetable oil.
- Mix potatoes with onions, eggs, salt and pepper.
- TO ASSEMBLE KNISHES, roll dough with a rolling pin; press with hands until very thin.
- Holding dough in your hands above a table, begin stretching in the middle and working towards the outside.
- Each ball of dough should be as thin as paper (about 1/16 of an inch).
- Form potato mixture into a long slender roll, about 1 inch in diameter.
- Roll dough around potato mixture.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Cut rolls into 1 1/2 inch pieces.
- Push ends partially shut and place ends down on a shallow greased baking sheet.
- Bake 45 minutes in a 400 F.
- oven, until lightly browned.
- Makes 12 knishes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!