photo by Chef Joey Z.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 1 tablespoon light oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 cups pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons light oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups mashed tofu
- 1⁄4 cup parsley
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Place a piece of parchment paper on a large cookie sheet. Spray a little oil on the parchment. Set aside.
- Prepare 2 1/2 cups mashed potatoes.
- Beat together 1 cup of the mashed potatoes, the 1 tablespoons of oil and the salt. Add the flour, and baking powder, mix well.
- Mix in the water and knead into a smooth dough. I used my mix master to mix this and it worked great. The dough was wonderfully soft.
- Let the dough rest in a bowl covered with a damp cloth for about 1/2 hour.
- Saute the onions in the tablespoons of oil until transparent. Mix in the rest of the ingredients. I mixed it with the mix master just until combined.
- Cut the dough into 4 sections and roll each section out thin. Cut the circle into 4 more pieces and put 1-2 tablespoons of the filling in each.
- Gather up the edges and join in the middle and pinch together so the filling doesn't leak out.
- Put the knish on the parchment covered baking tray with the pinched side down.
- Brush the top with soy creamer if desired.
- Set the oven to 350'F and bake for 25 minutes until golden brown. Serve with horseradish or mustard.
- Bon Appetit.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> I was born in northern Ontario in Canada. I am of Irish /Spanish/French Canadian descent. In 2002, myself, my hubby Stu, and our dog Ginger moved to the high desert of New Mexico. I am a Domestic Engineer and a Professional Artist. I enjoy oldies, classical and jazz music. My hubby is a Professional Jazz and Classical Musician. He plays with the Albuquerque Philharmonic Orchestra which is wonderful because I get to see all his concerts and they are free! We are trying our best to live a Green and Sustainable lifestyle which is no easy feat in a desert. I love any cookbook that promotes good health and tasty meals. I enjoy pasta dishes and sweet vegan deserts. I have found that I am very successful in converting conventional recipes to vegan. This has allowed me to enjoy all types of foods that I other wise could not. Some day we would like to relocate to upstate New York and be closer to my family in Canada and my husbands in New York. My DH retires in 9 years, so nothing will stop us from heading home then :-)