1/2 Photos of Potato Gratin With Gruyere Cheese and Creme Fraiche
1 hr 30 mins
This recipe is originally from an issue of Bon Apetit. It's very rich and makes a great side dish for a special meal. If you have a Cuisinart, use it, it will make the recipe a snap by eliminating the tedious slicing of the potatoes. Make sure to use a high quality of Gruyere cheese, some are very oily. I use Boar's Head here at home. Also make sure to stick to the amount of cheese listed as too much will make the dish greasy - even if you do use a high quality cheese.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees and generously butter a 13x9x2 glass baking dish.
- 2Arrange half of potato slices in bottom of prepared dish, overlapping slightly.
- 3Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper to taste.
- 4Spread half of creme fraiche over the potatoes and sprinkle with 1/2 of the Gruyere cheese.
- 5Top with remaining potatoes, again overlapping slightly, sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- 6Spread remaining creme fraiche on top, and sprinkle with remaining Gruyere cheese.
- 7Bake uncovered for 30 minutes and then reduce oven temperature to to 350 degrees.
- 8Continue to bake the gratin until the potatoes are tender and the top is a nice golden brown, about 45 minutes.
- 9Remove from the oven and let set for 10-15 minutes.
- 10Sprinkle with parsley and scallions.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potato Gratin With Gruyere Cheese and Creme Fraiche
Serving Size: 1 (191 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 370.0
- Calories from Fat 209
- Total Fat 23.2 g
- Saturated Fat 14.1 g
- Cholesterol 83.4 mg
- Sodium 96.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 10.4 g