Recipe by Ms B.
I adopted this recipe. The sauteed fennel and onion are a wonderful blend of flavors with the Gruyere cheese and potatoes. This is true comfort food stepped up a notch.
- 2 small fennel bulbs
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 lbs russet potatoes (about 4 large)
- 2 cups heavy cream, plus
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 1⁄2 cups gruyere cheese, grated (1/2 pound)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Butter inside of a 10x15x2-inch (10 cup) baking dish.
- Remove stalks and core of fennel, slice thinly crosswise.
- Saute fennel and onions in the olive oil and butter on Medium heat for about 15 minutes or until tender.
- Peel potatoes, slice thinly.
- Mix potatoes in a bowl with 2 cups cream and 2 cups Gruyere, salt, pepper and the sauteed onion/fennel mixture.
- Pour into baking dish, press down to smooth.
- Combine remaining 2 tbl cream and 1/2 cup Gruyere and sprinkle on top.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours until potatoes are very tender, the top is browned and bubbly.
- Let set for 10-15 minutes before serving.