Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I found this German recipe in an old Catholic cookbook. Great served on Shrove Tuesday or anytime you want fresh doughnuts!!!
- 4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup shortening, melted
- 1 cup unseasoned mashed potatoes
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- Sift flour with baking powder, salt, nutmeg, baking soda and set aside.
- Beat eggs with sugar & butter; stir in mashed potatoes & lemon rind. Add flour mixture alternately with milk.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured board. Roll to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut with doughnut cutter.
- Drop 4-5 doughnuts at a time into deep hot fat prepared to 360 degrees. Cook until doughnuts are brown & rise to surface; turn to brown both sides. Drain.
- Roll in mixture of cinnamon and sugar (shake in paper bag).