Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Here's my favorite way to use up left-over mashed potatoes. If your mashed potatoes are flavored with garlic, onions, etc. it's all the better. Measurements are approximate since I usually throw this together to use up leftovers in the fridge. If my potatoes are plain, I have been known to add a little chicken bouillon to give them more flavor. Serving size may vary- my two year-old DD and I share one of these for lunch. This definitely is not a "diet" meal, but, it's delicious!
- 2 large burrito-size flour tortillas
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 158.51 ml shredded cheddar cheese
- 158.51-236.59 ml prepared mashed potatoes
- 29.58 ml diced onions or 29.58 ml chopped green onions or 29.58 ml dried onion flakes
- 14.79 ml red & black pepper
- 118.29 ml hot salsa, for dipping
- canned jalapeno slices or leftover meat (cooked chicken works well) or sour cream or other cooked vegetables
- Place a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Put a small amount of olive oil in a large preheated skillet.
- Spread mashed potatoes on one tortilla, and place it potato side-up in skillet.
- Top with shredded cheddar, spices, and any other optional ingredients that you are using.
- Top with the other tortilla and cover the pan.
- When cheese is melted & bottom tortilla is crisp, carefully turn over the quesadilla, and cook uncovered until the other tortilla is crispy (3-4 minutes).
- Slice into wedges, and serve with salsa or sour cream for dipping.
This recipe was great. It was even better than I guessed it would be. I had used a small pack of instant loaded potatoes. I also used onion flakes and omitted the red pepper. Otherwise, I followed the instructions exactly. The quesadillas were very flavorful. My son loved them. He put buffalo sauce on his for a kick.
I've been making this recipe for ages and I guess I never rated it. This is perfect for using leftover mashed potatoes and there isn't much that's more comforting than potatoes and cheese.
WOW! When I looked for recipes to use up a ton of leftover mashed potatoes, I didn't see this one coming. I'm so glad you are this creative and generous to share! Made mine with Cotija cheese ("mexican parmesan", crumbly like feta)and some precooked fajita-seasoned chicken. The potatoes already had green onion and garlic so I skipped that and sprinkled everything with a dusting of spanish paprika for smoky good measure! Perfect 5 for ease of preparation, originality and great taste. What is that, 15 stars???